Thursday, January 12, 2012

To lose a face and save an industry...


Is that too much to ask for?
It must be, as despite of persistent nagging from my side, no progress can I see in the area.
In my workplace, on my jobs, in my industry.

It is the issue of ‘hands-off’-nes practiced by a large part of the industry when managing project information.
You may feel totally unaffected by this worry of mine, but if you run a company, consider this:

Do you provide (excessive) admin/technical ‘support’ to your engineers, architects, construction managers because their time is more valuable than the ‘lower ranks’ and consequently most ‘menial’ tasks should be off-loaded?

You may be thinking of this strategy as wise task sharing – in fact it is just a perk you are giving to some of your staff.
Don’t kid yourself that you are saving money!

Unfortunately, this ‘privilege’ dished out by you is not just some additional weight on YOUR overheads or a bit of extra that your clients end up paying for, it has far reaching consequences impacting on just about everything I DO during my workdays.

Like, the software packages I use ....and how they are not developing as they ought to be.
The people I hire ....and how they are not developing as they ought to be.
The clients I serve ....and how they are not developing as they ought to be.


1 comment: