Monday, October 1, 2012

Future-proofing one’s career through BIM


As my middle daughter is contemplating her future career-options and is seriously leaning towards architectural studies, I prepare my list of topics she must also absorb too, to ‘future-proof her career’.
One: construction law; Two: project management; Three: BIM.

To prove to her how good BIM as a personal investment has been for mummy, I google ‘BIM Qatar’ for jobs, expecting that there will be hundreds on offer at the moment.

Cant’ be any other way, considering there is at least one, 10 billion US$-sized project under way there with a full BIM requirement mandated on it.
Let’s not go into too many details on why I would classify it as a ‘full BIM’ project  – let’s just agree that the fact of the guiding standard being BS 1192 makes it a pretty ambitious BIM-undertaking.

So, sections of this project are currently under tender-stage, 18 consortia bidding for various parts of the cake.
To see how truly global they make this tender, refer to the picture attached.
Imagine each of these consortia consisting of at least 3 companies.
Then, consider, that being a D&C bid, most of them would drag in at least 1, but most likely more consultant-firms, bringing the number of sub-companies to at least 18 x 4 = 72;

According to my simple logic this means that, there are 72 large, most likely multinational companies bidding for a highly ambitious BIM project within the region at the moment, with the view of proceeding with it within the next 3-6 months.

There must be hundreds of ‘demanding BIM jobs’ on offer on the market at the moment!

Before anyone gets over-excited about me leaking confidential information, I declare that all the data I’ve used for this little post is ‘public knowledge’ (i.e. freely available on the internet);
Apart from my daughter’s career plans, I guess.


7 comments:

  1. Remember that you have learned everything about BIM yourself. The only career proofing is to always be ready to learn new knowledge. In 2030, BIM is so "old school". But then again, if you analyze what is fun, quite often it actualy is learning something new. But, try to tell that to a teenager.. :-)
    I was trained as a Radio and TV repairman, never fixed a TV after school. And about the only thing that has something to do with my education (that I do theese days) is staring at a screen.
    Recomended reading: Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK U FOR THE POST
    FOR MORE INFORMATION CLICK HERE

    autocad solutions

    ReplyDelete